Note: RenumKiCadPCB has been updated several times to enhance usability and fix bugs. Please check documenteddesigns.com for the most recent version.
This file RenumKiCadPCBv0200 is V0.200 of RenumKiCadPCB.
RenumKiCadPCB processes a KiCad PCB file and renumbers all the component reference designators ending in numbers based on where they are located on the PCB. It then processes the schematic hierarchy and updates the component reference designators to match. This makes working on a board much easier since you can locate all the components.
V0. 200 includes a number of improvements including a rudimentary text based menu driven interface as well as the original command line. Some command line arguments have been changed to make more sense and some defaults have been changed as well.
V0.200 was also developed on MinGW instead of Cygwin so there is no need for a separate DLL – the executable is stand alone.
To run to the program simply type RenumKiCadPCB (command line arguments are now optional).
I have made and tested the file on Windows (executable included) and Ubuntu Linux. It should work on Apple but I have not tested it.
I hope to port the code over to a proper GUI once I figure out how to set up the compiler, etc..
Let me know if there are any issues, bugs, feature requests.
4 thoughts on “RenumKiCadPCB V0.200”
I’m trying to use this version and the next on my Windows 7 machine. It looks like the program won’t accept file names with dash ‘-‘ in it. I renamed it to ‘dummy’ and the program went ahead and finished but I get the following message. Did anything go wrong?
Loading PCB file dummy.kicad_pcb
There are 105 modules on the PCB
Updating PCB File dummy.kicad_pcb reference designations and net names
Updated 105 modules in the PCB file
Updated 380 nets in the PCB file
Traversing schematic hierarchy starting with dummy
File not found!
Run time of 0.041 Seconds
Hit any key to exit
Is it supposed to generate a corresponding .sch file too? It only generated .kicad_pcb file.
I tried to compile the code in MSDN to debug but gcc specific features prevent it.
I am not aware of any issues with a dash in the file name. I’ll do some experiments and find out.
Can you run the program in “verbose” mode (hit option V before telling it to run).
It will send out a stream of information but the last page or so will provide useful error information.
You can email the result to email@example.com. I’ll try figure out what is going on and fix it.
I if is just dashes I’ll fix it but if you rename one part of the design (i.e. name-1 to name1) you have to rename the correspending sheets as well.
If you don’t hear from me feel free to bug me through email or this site.
I just checked the test file I use iceznum.pro (which is a nice an complex design and is online). I changed the files to ice-znum and it ran fine. No errors.
Sorry you could not compile. There are a lot of c development environments and I figured the best choice was gcc because it is open and available on all platforms. You could load mingw if you want to experiment.
And yes it updates the schematic but that seems to be the issue with the error.
Also, try V0.201 – it has a few additional features like remembering the file name.