Thanks to Michael I learned that there are issues with at least the two most recent exe files zip files I posted.
Somehow I was distributing without a dll which can be corrected by compiling like this under msys2
gcc RenumKiCadPCB.c -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ then renamining a.exe to renum.exe (or whatever).
Here is the corrected file RenumKiCadPCBV0300-fixed
Sorry about the screw up. I had been trying to compile Kicad sources and must have modifile my compiler settings or something.
There appears to be a bug I thought I had fixed, namely that a windows file path with a “.” (i.e. ver1.c.pro) gets trimmed wrongly. I will update soon.